What to Do When Unauthorised Travellers Camp on Your Property

people camping at night

Travellers camping in unauthorised areas such as unused buildings, vacant houses or private lands can be frustrating. Some travellers can even be problematic at times, especially for local communities. You have the right to evict these illegal travellers from your property. When handling traveller eviction, you can always seek the help of law enforcement agencies, the local council or bailiffs.

Here are some other ways you can consider to protect your property from unauthorised occupants and illegal encampments.

Know your rights

Travellers cannot set up camp in just any land, especially if they lack permission to do so. You can check the Housing Charity Shelter to know the areas where they are prohibited from parking. The Housing Charity Shelter provides a list of places where travellers cannot set up camps and will face immediate eviction.

Speak with them

It is always best to start everything with proper communication. You can reach out to them to see if you can discuss a leaving date. But if it turns out to be unsuccessful, then you can take the proceedings directly to the county court. Bear in mind that there should be a minimum of at least two clear days between the court hearing and the service of documents.

a couple of tents

Seek help

If you could not agree on anything, then it is best to seek help. You can ask help from a certificated enforcement officer when dealing with travellers. Working with them will make it much easier to repossess your property quickly as well as legally. It will also allow other car park users to start using the space again.

Gather the right information

Before you consider evicting these settlers, you need to gather the right information. You will be asked about the encampment’s location, the number of caravans, among others, when you file your complaint.

Get possession orders

You must get a possession order under Part 55 of the Civil Procedure Rules to get the rights to remove trespassers from your property. The county court that has the jurisdiction over the property should issue the order. There will be times when the high court can issue a claim if there is a risk of public disturbance. The landlord may also combine the application for the order together with filing a lawsuit. The property owner can secure the order against trespassers within two days’ notice before the hearing.

Consider filing an interim possession order

Private landowners or the local authority can also apply for an interim possession order. It is an accelerated process of reclaiming the possession of the land property. Although it is much quicker than possession orders, it is still not final. There is a return date at which the court will give a final decision.

Having unauthorised travellers in your property can be a hassle. It is best to work with professionals in traveller eviction services to get the support that you need. Choose a company that will handle the case with professionalism, sensitivity and efficiency, all at the same time.

About Sarah Bennett 416 Articles
Sarah is a highly experienced legal advisor and freelance writer. She specializes in assisting tech companies with the complexities of the law and providing useful information to the public through her writing.